Japanese soufflé pancakes. Super airy and fluffy, this Souffle Pancake (スフレパンケーキ) is like eating cottony clouds, but even better with homemade whipped cream and fresh berries! These Japanese-style Souffle Pancakes are incredibly light and fluffy. They are a popular trend in Japan, but you can recreate them in your own home.
This Japanese Soufflé Pancakes recipe gets its flavor from vanilla extract, lemon juice, and whole milk. Get the recipe from Food & Wine. Essentially Japanese Pancakes / Soufflé Pancakes are thick, fluffy pancakes. You can cook Japanese soufflé pancakes using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Japanese soufflé pancakes
- Prepare of eggs.
- You need of and 1/2 tablespoons milk.
- Prepare of vanilla essence.
- It’s of all purpose flour.
- Prepare of baking soda.
- You need of salt.
- It’s of sugar.
- Prepare of neutral oil.
- Prepare of Serving.
- You need of Butter.
- It’s of Maple syrup or honey.
- Prepare of Berries (optional).
They are almost soufflé-like in consistency thanks to folding egg whites into a batter that is cooked in a round mold. A Japanese soufflé pancake is a pancake made using soufflé techniques. Soufflé pancakes are incredibly popular in Japan. Soufflé pancakes are fluffy, jiggly, sweet, soft, and so, so delicious.
Japanese soufflé pancakes instructions
- Separate the egg yolks and egg whites from 2 eggs in 2 separate bowls. Put the egg whites in the freezer..
- With a whisk, beat 2 egg yolks, 1 and half tablespoons milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla essence until pale and frothy..
- Through a sieve add 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and a pinch of salt to the egg yolk mixture. Set aside..
- To a large pan(large enough to accommodate 3 pancakes) brush 1 tablespoon neutral oil and let it heat on low hear. This step is should be done before the next step..
- Beat the egg whites until pale and frothy. Gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar(about 1/3 at a time) and continue beating. Stop beating when you see peaks in the mixture..
- Gradually fold the egg whites mixture to the egg yolks and flour mixture. About 1/3 at a time. Incorporate the entire egg white mixture. You should have a frothy pale yellow cloud..
- Quickly move to the hot pan and start adding the mixture. You don’t want to wait, else you will get flat pancakes. This mixture will yield 3 pancakes. Stack one scoop on top of the other. You want a tall pancake and not a wide one. Cover and cook on low heat for 7 minutes..
- After 7 minutes the pancakes should have firm bottoms. Slowly flip them. Cover and cook for another 7 minutes..
- Once both sides are brown, quickly remove from heat and serve. Enjoy the soft and fluffy pancakes..
This vegan souffle pancake recipe is inspired by the popular Japanese Souffle Pancakes which are super fluffy and thick. This version is egg-free, dairy-free and even easier to make than the original. Japan is known for its iconic dishes from sushi to ramen. People in Japan line up and wait just to get a taste of these pancakes! Fluffy Japanese Pancakes are a soft, airy cotton candy-like pancake dream come true. …I finally made Fluffy Japanese Pancakes!